Themed parties are not just for kids’ birthdays anymore. Whether one is planning a birthday celebration, a baby shower or any other type of party, having a theme is an easy way to make it fun and unique. A fun theme can make an event feel cohesive, unique, and memorable and add to the guests’ experience.
Want some party theme ideas to inspire your next event? We at Travel Motivations have got you covered! Whether your goal is to throw a themed party or you just need some inspiration for next weekend’s festivities, we have got what you need. So here is a prepared list of the most popular themes and trends in 2023 that would help you make your party unforgettable.
- Celebrity Inspirations – Celebrity-themed parties are a great way to celebrate one’s favourite actor or singer. One can choose a theme, such as a movie, band, or TV show, and then get the party started by dressing up as the celebrity he wants to be. With Instagram Reels giving access to celebrities’ parties and events, this trend is much in vogue. Who doesn’t love a monochrome yet glamorous event like the Kardashian/Jenners?
- TV-themed party ideas – We all love talking about the latest shows that we are currently binging on different OTT platforms. Tying a party to a popular show makes the event feel contemporary and fun.
- Ideas to try:
- Gossip Girl party
- Game of Thrones party
- Squid Game party
- Bridgerton party
- Stranger Things party
- Tiger King party
- Yellowstone party
- The White Lotus party
- Ideas to try:
Movie-themed party ideas – Similar to a TV theme, movies provide a great jumping-off point for full-blown character costumes or more subtle references. Ideas to try:
- Star Wars party
- James Bond party
- Casablanca party
- Grease party
- Black Panther party
- Avengers party
Decade-themed party ideas – Hosting an event that breaks guests out of their day-to-day life by evoking nostalgia is another way to make a party an instant hit. Ideas to try:
- Roaring 20s party
- 1950s party
- 70s party
- 80s party
- 90s party
Retro Theme – Similar to the decade-themed parties the Retro theme is for you if you are looking for a theme to bring back memories. This fashion and design style was popular in the 1970s, 1980s, and early 1990s. However, it can also be used to describe a revival of something from an earlier era.
These theme parties allow guests to dress up in their best vintage clothing. Everything about this party would make the guests feel like they are attending an event from another period.
- Location-themed party ideas – Playing with the idea of escapism, here is a surefire way to make an event feel like a special getaway.
Ideas to try:
- Paris party
- Hawaii party
- North Pole party
- Wild West party
- Safari party
- Colour-themed party ideas – At times, the simplistic themes are the most successful. The simple step of choosing a signature colour as the theme for the event and letting the dress code, decor, and drinks reflect that theme would make a pretty impressive party.
Ideas to try:
- White party
- Gold party
- Rose gold party
- Rainbow party
- Purple party
- Turquoise party
- Millennial pink party
- Neon party
Book-themed party ideas – With the majority of us shifting interest to gadgets in place of books, book lovers would love to spend some time with their favourites. if your guest list is full of bookworms, literary themes are sure to be a hit.
Ideas to try:
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe party
- The Great Gatsby party
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s party
- Alice in Wonderland
- Charlie and The Chocolate Factory
Music-themed party – With music themed party, the theme of the event soundtrack is automatically set!
Ideas to try:
- Rock & Roll party
- Beatles Theme party – A little bit of The Beatles inspiration is all one needs to have this colourful, musical, and whimsical birthday party theme for the next party. It would surely be a crowd-pleaser for both the adults and kids in attendance.
- Beyonce party
- K- pop party
- Grunge party
- Bubblegum pop party
- Prince party
- Disco dance party – Disco Inspired Party – Disco is a style of dance music that emerged in the early 1970s and peaked in popularity during the mid-1970s to early 1980s. Disco was influenced by other genres of music, including soul, funk, and jazz. Anyone who lived during that time can probably recall hearing some disco hits on the radio or even dancing to them at their prom, wedding, or local club!
Disco has made a comeback in recent years, with many new artists releasing songs inspired by this classic style of music. As a result, consider incorporating some elements from the disco into your party planning if your guests want to be excited about dancing all night long! When it comes to this party trend, disco balls will be key to the decor. The glitz and glam of the 70s will inspire events like milestone birthday parties, bachelorette weekends, fundraising events, and more.
80s pop dance party
- Activity-themed party ideas – It is important to know the audience for this one. This theme is easier with a like-minded small group.
Ideas to try:
- Mysticism – This design trend for 2023 can translate easily to events too. Hiring psychics, astrologers, tarot card readers, and other mystical performers for birthday parties, corporate events, and bachelorettes is seen to be popular this year.
- Sushi-making party
- Pasta-making party
- Political letter-writing party
- Cookie-decorating party
- Board game party
Costumes Only Party – To have fun in a group. If you want, one can theme the party based on a popular movie or TV show like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings and make everyone dress like their favourite character. One can also have a costume contest where each person gets points for wearing their costume well and coming up with an original idea for their outfit.
Bringing props or accessories that will make the costume stand out from the crowd and give an edge in the competition for best dressed! One must remember to have a prize for the best costumes at the party—something even small like candy should do nicely.
- Glow in the Dark – One hit party trend is a glow-in-the-dark party. The key to this type of party is using glow sticks as decorations and ensuring there is plenty of them for the guests. One can also give each child a few glow sticks to take home as party favours, which will be an exciting surprise the next day when they wake up and see that their room has been decorated with glowing lights!
- Sports Theme – A sports theme is a great way to get the guests excited about a party. The best part is that there are many options for choosing the right sport: one can go with baseball, football (American), or rugby; basketball or soccer; tennis, swimming, and volleyball; golf or hockey. Of course, one may pick one sport only or mix things up a bit!
Whatever is chosen as the theme, he should consider all the different ways he could incorporate it into his decorations and food choices. For example, with the baseball theme, baseball bats and balls can make great centre-pieces on tables and corners of rooms where people will be standing around chatting before eating dinner together at lunchtime. For people planning on serving hot dogs outside, they can decorate them with tiny flags made from toothpicks. These could represent different teams within each league throughout history. They’ll also be fun conversation starters because most guests will only know what each flag means if they have done their homework beforehand though.
- Miscellaneous party ideas
A few other Ideas to try could be:
- Circus party
- Casino party
- Barbie party
- Winter Wonderland party
- Carnival Theme
- Catwalk party
- Under the Sea Party – Underwater Theme –There are many great party themes that one can choose from, but underwater-themed parties are gaining popularity by the day. For those considering throwing an underwater-themed party, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, it is essential to remember to ensure the theme fits his personality and lifestyle.
If you want to go all out with this kind of theme, there are many ways you can do so. For example, you can either decorate one room in your house or build an entire house out of cardboard boxes. This way, when it comes time for guests to come over, they will be stunned by how much work went into making everything look so realistic and amazing.
How to choose the right party theme for your event
With the above-trending party ideas to work with, here are our three best tips for choosing the right idea for your event.
Step 1: Base the theme on your interests – Themed parties work best when you know the host is genuinely excited about the idea. For one who is not a big Beyonce fan, he should not make the party an ode to her life’s work. For persons who do not love sushi, maybe a taco party is more to their taste. The guests would be able to tell when a theme is genuine and when the host is just going through the motions.
Step 2: Consider your guest list
Your passion is just the start. No one would want to go so niche that the guests would not be able to relate to your event at all. If you have a very specific theme idea, it is to be considered if it is possible to make it a little more accessible by broadening the theme slightly.
Step 3: Consider your budget
For a successful theme party, you want to tie in your dress code, food, drink, invitations, and music to your theme. This is another reason why a more simple theme might be easiest to execute. While it’s very easy to order everything purple for an event, it might be harder to custom order everything to match a new trending TV show.
It might feel like an uphill task to think of and plan such a party that would be in vogue with the current trends. An easy way to get it done in a hassle-free manner is to get in touch with a Luxury Concierge who would guide and assist you through the entire process seamlessly. Private parties & celebrations are successfully done with Bespoke Event Organisation skills of Luxury Lifestyle Concierge Services
Interesting Reads: What does the process of working with a travel advisor typically look like? Concierge Services in Medical Tourism in Thailand Business Concierge Services to help you grow your business Travel agent vs. Travel Concierge